Contrary to the popular belief that secondary glazing windows don’t require maintenance, the thing is there do need some care only thing is that you don’t have to do it frequently and as often as is the case for the ordinary windows. It is a marketing strategy that portrays them as maintenance free but in real sense, if you want them to serve you for the period they are supposed to then you should consider taking care of them. Their maintenance is not complicated at all and when you can’t do it yourself due to commitment or unfamiliarity issues, you can always outsource for help.
The same companies that offer glazing installation services also have maintenance packages. This means that they are only a call away when you have a maintenance issue like a repair to have it fixed. On cleaning, it is very easy to clean secondary glazing windows because they have retrievable panes that can be easily removed, cleaned and returned back. To make everything easier, you should consult the glazing company installing the windows on how to maintain them. Reputable companies like Vidro Group are conversant with various window designs and definitely understand how best to take care of them. They will provide insightful help and this will make your work easier.
So, what exactly are some of the maintenance tips that you should deploy when taking care of your secondary glazing windows?
Reliable secondary glazing windows maintenance tips
The following is a list of a number of ways through which you can take good care of your secondary glazing windows:
- On condensation during cold seasons; when warm air meets cold air, condensation happens. This is a normal occurrence but where large amounts of the same are involved, it is an indication that something is not right somewhere. On noticing that, you should consider checking for any moisture facilitating situations. The condensation could be due to poor ventilation which can be rectified by opening the windows slightly. Inside the house activities like showering, or hanging damp cloths to dry can facilitate condensation. Ensuring that there is enough ventilation during such situations can help the condition. You could also have trickle vents attached on the windows and don’t forget to wipe your windows during mornings to minimize moisture.
- For the hinges and locks; for the metallic locks and hinges, you may find that with time they may start producing a squeaking sound. This calls for lubrication which should be done using ideal light oils. Also, corroded screws need replacement where wooden windows are used. For broken hinges and locks, you should call for professional help from glazing installers so that they can replace them for you. Don’t take it upon yourself to carry out some of the repairs despite how simple they may appear because you may end up extending the damage and paying more for it.
- On cleaning; there is no doubt about the fact that windows are prone to dirt like dust among other stains that may find their way onto them. The dirt at times usually accumulates on the frames or even worse on the glass. This will surely not look very good on your windows due to the visible dirt. You should therefore take the initiative to clean the windows once there is visible dirt because the more it stays up there more it becomes stubborn and your efforts at that moment to clean them could end up damaging them. Since the cleaning will require you to you to remove the panels for easier cleaning, you should seek assistance for removing them for the heavier ones. You should also ensure the safety of your arms during removal by wearing protective gloves. You should also use only cleaning detergents that will not have any effects on the glass or the frames.
- On repairs; if you notice anything that is worth repairing on your secondary glazing windows, do not hesitate to call for fixing services. Windows are prone to cracks and splinters for instance as a result of external forces. Damaged windows means that your security is compromised to some degree so the best thing to do is have them fixed soonest possible. You can get into contact with the company that fixed them for you so that they can do the fixing. Since most companies offer warranties and guarantees, you could end up getting free repairs from your company if the repair happens to fall between the periods covered by the warranty.
- Re-painting peeled paint. With time, if you had the window metal or wooden frames painted, you may find the paint peeling off. For this reason, you should clean and repaint them in order to maintain the windows appearance. You should however be careful not to spill the paint all over the window glass.
- On keeping security-locking keys in each room for emergency situations. The security-unlocking keys should be made available in each room so that in case of an emergency the windows can be used as an exit plan.
That makes a list of the most important maintenance tips that you can apply on your secondary glazing windows. Consider following the window manufacturer’s care instructions for the best maintenance. Where not sure on how to go about it, you can always consult the professionals for help on how to go about it.